Knob of butter
1 onion, finely diced
400g potatoes, diced
- 250g Smoked Haddock
250ml whole milk
1/2 small bunch of parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
150g smoked salmon, shredded
100ml dry white wine
300ml double cream
1 tsp paprika
6 tbsp finely chopped dill
450g fresh egg tagliatelle
Heat the olive oil. Fry the onion until soft. Add the smoked salmon, stir for 3 minutes. Pour in the white wine, bring to boil and cook briskly for 1 minute. Mix in the double cream. Add the cayenne, paprika and 5 tbsp of dill. Stir for a further 3 minutes.
Boil the tagliatelle until ‘al dente’, around 3 minutes; drain. In a large serving bowl toss together the tagliatelle and the salmon cream sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining dill and serve.
- In a pan gently heat 1 pint Milk and Poach 1 Kipper for 3-4mins
- Remove the Kipper from the milk, Remove all the skin, bones and flake.
- Strain the milk used to poach the kippers into a bowl
To make the base
- Melt 1oz Butter in a pan
- Add 1oz Plain Flour and stir over the heat for 1min
- Remove from the heat and pour in the milk used for the kippers stirring continuously and mix well
- Return to the heat and add 50g Cheddar Cheese and 1 Clove of finely chopped Garlic.
- Add 225g Spinach in a pan and wilt with 2tbsp White Wine for 2-3mins
- Strain and squeeze out the excess wase
To serve mix 100g cooked Long Grain Rice, Kippers and Spinach into the base mixture
Peppered Mackerel Bake
- 750g medium-sized waxy new potatoes , such as Charlotte
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , sliced
- 2 large peppered smoked mackerel fillets, about 250g/9oz total weight
- 284ml carton double cream
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5/fan 170C. Boil the potatoes in their skins for 12-15 minutes until nearly cooked through. Drain and slice into thin discs. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion until soft and golden. Gently toss the potatoes and onion together and season with salt to taste.
- Put half the mixture in a shallow 1.4 litre ovenproof dish. Remove the skin and any bones from the mackerel, flake the fish and spread it out over the potatoes. Top with the remaining potatoes and pour over the cream.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for a further 20-25 minutes, until the topping is a lovely golden brown.